The dairy industry in Georgia is an important segment of the agricultural economy and ranks second in farm gate income from livestock contributing to human food production. This modern dairy industry requires personnel trained in business, economics, the basic sciences and management as well as other traditional dairy science courses [e.g., nutrition, feeding, selection, genetics and reproduction].
A program of study of a more basic nature may be emphasized by students who desire careers in science related fields or who wish to purse graduate or professional study. This major meets all course requirements for admission into the College of Veterinary Medicine. The Dairy Science major is enhanced by internships and student jobs at the University Dairy Center.
Dairy Science Careers
- Operation of a dairy farm as a manager or owner
- Sales of equipment and animal health products or nutritional consultants
- Field services with processing plants, feed manufacturers, breed associations and marketing agencies
- College research and teaching
- County extension agents, vocational agriculture teachers or research technicians
Scholarships are available to animal ccience majors through the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences and the Department of Animal and Dairy.